Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Monopoly is my LEAST Favorite Game

Remember when you moved on your own for the first time, out of your parents' house? You thought, alright. Making decisions on my own -- FREEDOM at last.

And then rent came due? And then utilities? And, holy shit, my internet connection costs HOW much?

So, your first month's bills [almost completely] paid, you think, I will change companies and find a better deal. Fuck Comcast. Oh, wait, Comcast is the only provider in the area? Excuse me? Isn't that a monopoly?

Well, technically no. Basically, the big ISPs (Comcast in nearly every community) carve up counties and regions to provide coverage to. Meaning in most neighborhoods, it's the company's way or the highway.

Wilson, North Carolina, residents chose the highway. Their very own, high-speed, information highway (I know, I know, gag me on that term). Anyway, taxes don't pay for it, residents who use it do, just like they would with any other ISP. It's just at cost, instead of at ... monopolized price fixing jerk prices.

The reaction? Their former ISP went berserk. The North Carolina House and Senate formed bills to keep a town or city from every doing this again. How could they?! Why would anyone want to hurt lil' ol' Comcast by wrenching control out of its hands...?

As someone who incessantly uses the internet, and pretty regularly complains about big-business ISPs, I think it's crucial that we back Wilson residents in their attempts to stop this legislation. One avenue may be to write the NC reps, one may be to write your own.

Another could be to buzz the shit out of this issue. If you're on a social media site, please use tags to label any posts about this issue -- I'll be Twittering with #Greenlight and #WilsonISP



Oh and just in case you didn't know:

Write your Senator: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
Write your House Rep: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

No comments: